St. Thomas More Parish was founded in 1936 as a mission of the Cathedral under Archbishop Howard. This new congregation met at the Mt. Zion Congregational Church on the corner of Dosch and Patton Roads. On September 29, 1940, the current church building built by Pietro Belluchi, was blessed. The rectory, parish hall and school were built in 1948. In 1952, the choir loft and south transept were built. St. John Fisher was established in 1958 when St. Thomas More and St. Clare Churches could not handle the growing numbers in Southwest Portland. Hamilton Street to Scholls Ferry Road is the technical division point between St John Fisher and St. Thomas More. St. Thomas More is the patron of lawyers, students, and professionals.
The first pastor Rev. Francis Schaefers served the parish until 1960. Rev. Monsignor Edmund VanderZanden was pastor from 1960 until 1964. Rev. Martin Thielen presided from 1964 until 1983. The fourth pastor was Msgr. Arthur Dernbach from 1983-1997; he was followed by Rev. Galdino Monteiro, SFX from 1997-2000; who was followed by Rev. Michael P. Johnston from 2000-2009. In 2009 Rev. Richard D. Sirianni was appointed pastor.
Currently, St. Thomas More has 600 families who have registered in the parish. The school, grades K-8, has about 146 families and 220 students.